The 1980’s (1987-1989)


Kalamunda Men

President: Michael Peirce, Vice-President: Peter Eaton, Secretary: John Boogaard, Treasurer: John Maher.  Committee: Ray Barry, Doug Kirkwood, Mark Lewis, John Angove, Dave Scanlon, Dave Newton, Warren Noddings.  Coach: Bob Sturgeon.

Lesmurdie Ladies

President: Cindy Ajduk, Vice-President: Allyson Doughty, Secretary: Cheryl Taylor, Treasurer: Phyl Ruthven.  Committee: Aileen Moore, Sue Coulthard, Betty Carlhausen.

As the completion of the clubrooms neared, the Kalamunda Men and Lesmurdie Ladies also drew closer to amalgamation, and while they maintained separate committees for this season, they shared a common newsletter and a number of functions.  Senior Mens fees were $95, compared to $40 for the women in the Hills competition.  The men started the season with five senior sides, but a veterans side could not be raised and wouldn’t be again until the 90’s.  This led to the club unfortunately losing contact with many of its old stalwarts.

After the success of the top two mens sides in 1986, this season started with some major player losses.  Kerry McGranahan moved on, while Andrew Scanlon joined Melville to play Classic League.  The also club lost both its top goalkeepers before the season was more than a few weeks old.  Bruce Olney joined the army, while Mark Stibi, a policeman, was transferred to the goldfields.  Phil Fawell was plucked from the 3rds (where he’d just captained his first win) to go straight into the 1C side, with Adrian Keeble taking over in the 2Cs.  Having only two seasons of keeping in lower grades, it was a big step up for Phil Fawell, but with close attention from coach Sturgeon he exceeded expectations (which admittedly weren’t that high).

Dale Dreezens was elevated from the Under 17’s to join John McGucken (back at the club), Warren Noddings, Jim McPherson, Mike Price and Doug Kirkwood up forward.  The defence was still controlled by Dave Newton and Mark Lewis, with Mike Mitchell graduating from juniors to a starting half-back role.  New member Alf Schneider went straight into the 1C side and the former Redcliffe Rover Ian Gould also added experience at the back.

The side had a number of good performances, including a 2-2 draw with the top side (Armadale), and found themselves on the edge of the four half-way through the season.  Unfortunately, they dropped off the pace from then on, although a 7-2 win over Whitfords in the last game (Dreezens and Newton 3 each) left them feeling confident for the next year.

The 2C side had a playing coach in Mike Snadden (ex-Redcliffe), and included John Maher, Peter Buick, Ray Barry, Mike Edel, Simon van Wees, Mike Robinson, Mark Giolitto David Ansell (returning to the club) and the Bunday brothers, Pat and Steve.  They did well in the first year back in 2C, making the elimination semi-final, in which they defeated Northern Districts 3-2 (with 3 short corner goals to Mike Edel).  The following week they lost the preliminary final to Newman 2-1, with a goal to Dave Ansell. 

A feature of this season was the dominant 5C side, which topped its ladder, hardly surprising when its players included Royce and Chas Spencer, Alex Fewings, Kim Ledger and even Dave Scanlon.  The team was captained by the comparatively young John Boogaard, while the young legs were provided by Neil Gordon and Phil Pratt (who put on the pads when John Lynes was called up to keep in the 3C side).  In one game they also called upon Anton Brown from the Under 17 East side, who scored their only goal in a 1-1 draw, narrowly missing another.  This was Anton’s only senior game for Kalamunda until rejoined the club in the 2000 season. 

A highlight from the juniors was Chris Tyrie gaining State Under 16 selection for the second consecutive year.  Both the Under 17E and Under 15C sides made Challenge Cups, the 17’s losing but the 15’s defeating Perth.  The Under 15C side was coached by Rudi Lawrance and was made up of Murray McKechnie, Matthew Scanlon (goalie), Dereck Lawrance, Jason Esschert, Jeremy Nelson, Adam Frew, Peter Barney, Chris Deshon, Nathan Murphy, J Murphy, D Sparks, and C Spicer.

The 1987 Under 11C side

Back: Mark Loohuys, David Hearden, Scott Wills, Glen O’Malley, Peter Steele, Phillip ???, Damian Dawson.

Front: Ben Pomatti, Chris Bradfield, Todd O’Malley, Natalie O’Malley, Megan Andrews, Justin Nitskevic, Mary ???

Although the clubrooms had already been in use for a number weeks, the official opening was held on the 22nd of August, on the second last Saturday of the qualifying rounds.  The club also celebrated its 21st birthday, and welcomed back a large number of past players.  The highlight was the naming of the clubrooms as the “David Scanlon Pavilion”, much to the surprise of Dave himself. 

  Michael Peirce

Five times President

(‘82, ‘83, ’87, ’88, ’89)

Currently playing Over 40s Division 1.

Speaking at the official opening of the clubrooms, 1987

Ray Thompson

Kalamunda player at senior and veterans level from 1968 through to the mid-80’s.  Senior coach 1969.  Committee member 60’s and 80’s.  At the clubrooms opening, at which Kalamunda celebrated its 21st birthday.

Official opening of the clubrooms, 22nd August 1987.

From left: Michael Peirce, Hon. Gavin Troy (Minister for Transport and Small Business), David Scanlon,

Cindy Ajduk, Colin Nicholas (President WAHA).

(photo supplied by David Hocken)


President: Michael Peirce, Vice-President: Anne Fraser and Peter Eaton, Secretary: John Boogaard, Treasurer: John Maher.  Committee: Kathleen Harrington, Doug Kirkwood, Phyl Ruthven, Margaret Beaton, Allyson Beaton, Jim McPherson, Michael Mitchell, Dave Newton.  Mens coach: Mike Snadden.  Junior coordinator: Dave Scanlon. 

This season saw the death of the two biggest names associated with Kalamunda hockey in Ralph Blazey and David Scanlon.  The loss of club founder Ralph Blazey was felt by the older players and those who knew his son Ian (still playing Metro 3 Blue at the time), but that of David Scanlon impacted upon all senior and junior players.  Dave was still junior coordinator at the start of 1988, and everyone who’d passed through the junior ranks had been coached or helped by him at some stage (see David Scanlon Memorial Shield for more details).

U17D, U15C, U13B and U11B all made it to finals, with only U13E and U11D missing out.  The Under 17D side coached by Neil Gordon and featuring Tim Sixsmith, Ray Laity and Dereck Lawrance, won its Challenge Cup.  The Under 11B and U15C sides also won their Challenge Cups, with the 15s going on to win their Grand Final.   The Under 15C side was coached jointly by Davis Scanlon and Don Miller, with the team: Murray McKechnie, Peter Barney, Stephen Miller (goalie), Scott Jones, Jason Esschert, Richard Nicholls, Chris Humphries, Adam Frew, Adrian Spicer, Simon Taylor, Nathan Murphy, Graham Watson and David Roberts.

For the first time in over a decade the top side had to manage without Dave Newton controlling the defence, as he chose to “retire” to the seconds.  With four games to go, the 1C’s were only one point outside the top four, but then lost three of the final four games to 1C finish in sixth position (7 wins, 7 losses, 2 draws), 8 points clear of the bottom three sides.  The 2C side (coached my Mike Snadden) won its Challenge Cup, but scrapped into the finals, losing in the elimination semi-final to Bayswater-Morley. The side that won the Challenge Cup was made up of Ray Barry (captain), Don Miller (vice-captain), Jon Burgess, Peter Eaton, Harvey Jagger, Doug Kirkwood, John Lynes (goalie), Jim MacPherson, John Maher, Simon Scanlon, Simon Murphy, John Russell and Sashi Velupallay.  Metro 3 Blue finished seventh, while Metro 3 Red (consisting of numerous former Redcliffe players) qualified for the finals in second spot but lost both the second semi and preliminary finals. Regional South 2B were top of their grade, and went on to win the Premiership.

The club had long been frustrated by the number of other clubs wearing predominantly gold tops, leading to frequent colour clashes (the decision by Wesley-South Perth to go to a gold top only made matters worse).  In addition, it was felt that the merging of the Kalamunda Mens and Lesmurdie Ladies clubs would be better served by the adoption of a new uniform, and so club members were asked to put forward proposals for change. The AGM was held on October 30, at which the need for change was hotly debated.  The colours red, white and aqua, suggested by the Ledger family, were eventually selected.  However, many members felt that the AGM attendance was small and unrepresentative of the majority of the club, perhaps a result of member’s fears of being elected onto the committee.  A Special General Meeting was therefore called for December 14 to deal only with the club colours issue. 

There were 34 voting members at this meeting, and seven colour schemes were proposed:

1)      Green with gold and black flash (black shorts)

2)      Black with red and white

3)      Aqua with maroon and white

4)      Black with green and white

5)      Aqua with red and white

6)      Pink with maroon (Lesmurdie’s existing colours)

7)      Black and gold (Kalamunda’s existing colours)

Schemes 6 and 7 were removed in separate ballots (33-0 and 24-5, respectively).  The aqua, red and white combination was then selected by a ballot on the remaining choices.


President: Michael Peirce; Vice-President: Peter Eaton and Penny Bryant; Treasurer: John Maher; Secretary: Janet Scanlon; Committee: Kath Harrington, Cindy Adjuk, Aileen Moore, Jon Burgess, Warren Noddings, Ann Fraser, Margaret Beaton, Mike Love, Graeme Fletcher; Mens Coach: Mike Snadden; Metro Womens Coach: Rudi Lawrance.

The incoming committee had been authorised at the December special meeting to finalise a design based on the selected colours.  In January of 1989 their intention was to have an aqua top with a white ”V” and red trim, as well as aqua shorts with red pockets.  Fortunately, they soon changed the shorts to red, with their final choice shown below left.  The thirds were to be the first team to play at home in the new uniform.  Ironically, after making this change partly to eliminate colour clashes, they were forced to wear alternative colours when Trinity arrived in a light blue top (only worn by that particular side, for some reason).  The colour clash that now exists with Willeton only occurred when they modified their strip in the mid-90’s. 

The new club uniform, modelled by Michael Peirce.

Warren Noddings in the new club tracksuit.

While the uniform was never hugely popular amongst the players, it was adored in comparison to the almost fluorescent track-suits (above right).  Their arrival was delayed until late July.  It’s a measure of their loyalty to the club that the majority of the top squad wore these track-suits for several seasons, although few will admit to it now. 

The 1C side was boosted by the return of former junior Chris Tyrie after a stint at Vic Park, where he had played on occasions in their Classic League side, and on paper the side seemed its strongest since 1986.  Phil Fawell played the majority of games in goals, with Matthew Scanlon filling the remainder.  Other regular 1C players included Mike and Adrian Edel, Mark Lewis, Harvey Jagger, Simon Scanlon, Don Miller, Jon Burgess, Brett Tyrie, Dave Ansell and Warren Noddings, with coach Mike Snadden occasionally interchanged onto the field to show how it should be done.  The side won its first two games against weak opposition, and this possibly led to early complacency.  Even then the senior players in the side, celebrating a win in the stadium bar, noted their young team-mates had left, and expressed concerns about the lack of team spirit.  Certainly this proved to be one of the least cohesive top sides in memory, although the late night turf timeslots didn’t help.  In addition, a knee injury and the pressures of preparing his PhD thesis led to a mid-season loss of confidence for their goalkeeper.  He returned to form over the last six games of the season, but the team continued to struggle.  Despite the equivalent of 7 wins, the evenness of all but the bottom side meant that Kalamunda was relegated from 1C by just one point.  Ironically, teams in the same position (second bottom) in the previous to seasons hadn’t been relegated due to club mergers. 

The 2C side dominated their grade early in the season, but faltered after losing the Challenge Cup to Old Guildford.  They made the grand final against minor premiers Old Guildford, losing a close game on penalty strokes, and again missing out on promotion to 2B.  Metro 5A and Regional South 1 finished near the foot of their ladders, while the Metro 5C side was on the edge of the four throughout the season.  Alan Mihala won the Fairest & Best for the Metro 5C side, starting a sequence  that gave him nine Fairest & Best awards in a ten year period.

2C losing grand-finalists.


From left: Peter Buick, Jim MacPherson, Doug Kirkwood, John Russell, Trevor Warburton, John Maher, Simon Scanlon, Michael Peirce, Mike Snadden, Laurie Mills, Dave Newton, Ray Laity, Mike Mitchell, Matthew Scanlon, Mark Giolitto.

In 1989 the club also introduced its first ever womens side playing within the WAWHA competition (always referred to as “Metro” to be distinguished from the Hills women).  The inaugural team played in 1D with Rudi Lawrance as coach, and included Allyson and Jodi Beaton, Sue Coulthard, Amelia Miller and Penny Bryant in goals. 

The 17D side coached by Maurice Gouldthorp lost their Challenge Cup but finished top of the ladder and went on to win their grand final, giving the club its first premiership under the new colours.  While many of this side played senior hockey for the club in the following seasons, the most influential were Todd Dunstan and Murray McKechnie.  Todd graduated to senior ranks in the following year, becoming the thirds keeper for several seasons until elevated to the top side in 1993.  Murray played Under 17’s in 1990, but was not coaxed back to regularly play seniors until the mid-90’s, becoming a automatic starter in the top side until his passion for kick boxing lured him away. 

Under 17D – the first team to win a Premiership in the new club colours.

Back: Peter Barney (c), Simon Taylor, Todd Dunstan, Maurice Gouldthorp (coach), Murray McKechnie, Chris Deschon, Jeremy Nelson.

Front: Ryan Gilbert-Green, Jason Esschert, Nick Sugars, Scott Jones, Corey Jones.

Absent: Dereck Lawrence. 

At the end of the 1989 season the first annual David Scanlon Memorial Match was played, resulting in a draw between the Presidents XI and a team of Golden Oldies (which included Joe Bruers, Bob Sturgeon, Peter Evans, Mark Weinman, John Doepel, Dave Newton, Chas Spencer, Maurice Gouldthorp and Ian Blazey) The photo below shows Dave Newton in action during the match (Mike Robinson to the left of the shot and Dennis Wills chasing).